Jan 02 2012
Iowa Caucus Pressure
Tomorrow, on January 3rd Iowa hosts an important primary that has long been the equivalent of a start gun for a marathon in the political arena. The Iowa Republican caucus serves as a good indication of what’s to come in the selection of a Republican candidate for any given presidential election.
If you’ve been paying attention, you may have noticed the media has been putting a lot of pressure on Iowans telling them if they voted for Ron Paul, they may be discredited as part of the presidential election process. They are saying this based on their prediction that Ron Paul can’t win the presidential election. Additionally, the media also has ignored Ron Paul so much that I’m surprised most people even know who he is.
Iowa, vote the way you want to! Don’t back down! Stare into the face of people trying to skew your voting minds and do what you feel is right! Don’t let the media twist your arm or make you feel anything but positive in your convictions. The list of presidents who weren’t expected to win is long – from Harry Truman to Ronald Reagan. The people decide who wins, not the media or pundit projections!
What does Iowa know?
As I’ve followed politics more and more over the past years I’ve learned a lot. I’ve spent a lot of time comparing various philosophies, theories, forms of government, beliefs and approaches. I’ve talked to everyone from anti-capitalists to socialists to people who said the Constitution was old and outdated to Tea Party people.
One thing that everyone knows is that the lines between Democrat and Republican have blurred to the point where both parties are engaged in some depressing Basketball drill where they pass the ball back and forth down the length of the court every 4-8 years. Unfortunately the court gradually slopes downhill and even when it appears to do otherwise, it’s just an illusion.
I think Iowans also know this and that’s why they’re looking to Ron Paul. He’s not mainstream, he’s not a pretty face with a pretty voice and he doesn’t dummy it down or butter it up. He’s exactly who he says he is and has been for quite some time.
He takes his oath to uphold the constitution just a little more seriously than the other candidates who seem to be more interested in figuring out ways to get around it with lawyers than living within it.
By the way, in case you didn’t know, if they get around the Constitution with lawyers or by any other means, they are simply getting around you, the people.
Some Ron Paul Facts
There’s a good chance depending on your beliefs, that the list of facts below may be unappealing to you. For instance, if you believe the bailouts were positive or if you believe the Patriot Act is good, this list may not make a dent in you.
I fully understand that reality – just have an open mind. The purpose of posting these facts is not meant to sway people who have strong counter-beliefs, but to make you realize how consistent and honest he is. There really is no other authentic, consistent candidate in the race. None of them, including even the most so-called conservative, are consistent in their beliefs as it relates to the law of the land – the Constitution – our contract with our government.
And if you don’t believe the Constitution is important – we’ll work on that.
His Political History
- Never once voted to raise taxes
- Never once voted for an unbalanced budget
- Never once supported the bailouts
- Never once voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership
- Never once voted to raise congressional pay
- Never once taken a government-paid junket
- Never once voted to increase the power of the executive branch
- Voted against the Patriot Act
- Voted against regulating the Internet
- Never once voted for any legislation that would limit your freedom to eat the food you choose or take whatever vitamin supplement you choose
- Voted against the Iraq war
- Does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program
- Returns a portion of annual congressional office budget to the U.S. Treasury every year
- At a 6 to 1 ratio, he receives more donations from military personnel than any other candidate and has received more donations from the military than all other candidates combined
- The only candidate to predict the 2008 financial collapse (predicted in 2001)
- Would change presidential salary from $400,000 to $39,336 which is the average salary of an American worker.
His Personal History
- Was the 220 yard dash state champion at Dormont High School
- Received a B.S. degree in biology
- Earned a Doctor Of Medicine degree from Duke University of Medicine
- Was a Captain in the U.S. Air Force and served as a flight surgeon in Vietnam - Served in the U.S. National Guard
- Started his own practice as an OBGYN and delivered over 4000 babies
- Instead of accepting Medicaid or Medicare payments for his poor patients, lowered fees or offered services for free
- Has been married to the same person for 54 years
- Has 5 children, 18 grandchildren, and 4 great-grandchildren
- Starts each day with a 3 to 4 mile walk and finishes with a 10 to 15 mile bike ride
- The only person in Congress to have ever hit a home run in Congressional Baseball games…and it was an out of the park home run!
- His middle name is Ernest meaning to be sincere, serious and honest in your actions.
What to expect from me
I think there’s a large gaping hole in all of us where there would normally be knowledge about our country, its origins and the Constitution. I think we all have a lot to learn about it and we can start at the conceptual level. This year, leading up to the election, I will try my best to tackle some interesting concepts that I find important.
Tell me what you think about Ron Paul. Is he really someone’s crazy uncle? Or is he the revolutionary figure we need? You be the judge.
In the meantime, here are a few video clips to check out that will solidify the facts I’ve listed above on Ron Paul and what he stands for.
Ron Paul Interview 1988
Are you electable?
Realities about Ron Paul
On the Patriot Act
P.S. – To everyone, I hope you had a happy holiday season – please have a happy new year